Re: [OM] Telephoto lens.

Subject: Re: [OM] Telephoto lens.
From: "Marco Tomat" <tom@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 10 May 98 22:51:26 +0200
On Dom, 10 mag 1998 16:15, Ulf Westerberg
<mailto:ulf.westerberg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>My favourite choice was and is the Sigma APO 400. Not at all in the same
>league as the Zuikos, but still very much optics for the money. Note that
it
>fudges somewhat regarding focal length, comparing it to my Zuiko 300/4.5
>with and without the 1.4x converter (420 mm), I'd say it is around 370 mm
>instead of 400. Doesn't sound very much but when shooting small birds etc.
>this little difference can be crucial. The same goes for the Tokina SD
>version, of which I was not too impressed BTW. (Other list-members have
>expressed their satisfaction, though). The Sigma non-APO version is the
>same
>mechanically (not much to brag about) but optics are far inferior to the
>APO-version.

The Sigma 400 APO was measured 382.2mm by a magazine test in Italy. The
test showed an excellent performance from f/5.6 to f/16. I agree with your
evaluation of the *old* Sigma 400... not at all better than any good 200
duplicated.

I had no experience with the new Sigma 400, but my impression of the 300
APO (very similar lens) is: good shots on every condition... the most
remarkable feature was easiness of focusing, imho.

Marco