[OM] Re: [OT] cd mastering (was Re: [Photo] this is Linn)

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT] cd mastering (was Re: [Photo] this is Linn)
From: "bill pearce" <bs.pearce@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2006 08:57:24 -0600
If anyone thinks that dynamic range compression is something new, they are
sadly mistaken. (AG, feel free to chime in here)

Many precious vinyl LP were compressed. It wouldn't be out of line to say
that pretty much anything that wasn't classical was to a greater or lesser
degree. Rock and roll was the pioneer in that department, and many
recordings from the sixties on were compressed within an inch of their
lives.

In my first radio job, which would have been in about 1967, we compressed
the signal further. The goal was then, and today, to increase coverage area
by covering up noise in the fringe areas, and to get better sound on car
radios.

Perhaps the modern CD is compressed more. It is surely compressed in a more
sophisticated manner.

Bill Pearce