Re: [OM] Slot canyon help and low light spot metering

Subject: Re: [OM] Slot canyon help and low light spot metering
From: "Ron Crabtree" <crabtree@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 14 May 1999 18:21:19 -0600
I spot metered a medium area of the canyon, adjusted both cameras
>>to the same f-stop, fired the empty OM and then immediately opened the
>>Pentax as a time exposure.  I closed the Pentax when the OM closed its
>>shutter.
>
>snip
>>
>>I feel badly using my beloved OM4t as a mere meter, but it performs very
>>well in this role.
>
>Hi Ron,
>
>This is interesting, since your exposure is determined by an OTF metering
>system which presupposes the density and reflectance of film to get the
>correct exposure times (or so I thought).  One would think you might get
>over-exposures.  If not, perhaps the somewhat longer times doing OTF
>exposures without film help check the potential of reciprocity failure?
>
>Have you ever done this technique with film in the OM-4T?

Dear Joel:

You are correct.  As the OM4t manual clearly states, using an empty OM4t
will falsely overexpose the scene.  The only other time I have ever used the
Om4t in a slot canyon was when I was using it to shoot film.  Oddly enough,
though, my exposures this time using the empty OM4t as a meter for my Pentax
67 were fine.  It may well be that when one uses exposure times of 30-60
seconds, the variation of exposure times between using film in the camera
and not may be insignificant in proportion.  What do you think?

Ron Crabtree
Santa Fe, NM