[OM] Re: PTLens image adjusting software

Subject: [OM] Re: PTLens image adjusting software
From: "Allan Mee" <bigalsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2006 06:05:14 +0000
Thanks Moose.
Next year I think Ill buy a flatbed scanner and just scan the prints - or
have a local photo shop put the photos put onto photo-cds.
I did notice that my camedia has a tendency to err on the side of
over-exposure at times. But, despite being only a 2MP camera, it is capable
of taking some great photos at times. Being a point and shoot, there's not a
lot one can adjust on it.
Jeez 6am already. Bedtime methinks. Night world.
Allan

PS No trees were harmed in the sending of this message and a very large
number of electrons were asked their permission to be terribly
inconvenienced. (And threw a party for them afterwards for being really cool
about it).

Disrupting the unnatural balance that you, as a conscious human being and a
confused mass of energy, have created.
-Disturb the mind -

>From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
>To: olympus@xxxxxxxxxx
>Subject: [OM] Re: PTLens image adjusting software
>Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2006 21:45:27 -0800
>
>Allan Mee wrote:
> > You guys are wizards with PS et al.
> > The differences you make are outstanding. I think I'll have to really
>get to
> > grips with PS. When I was  a full time programmer - we (programmers)
>spent a
> > lot of time hand-editing images (usually computer generated rather than
> > photographs) but it's not something I've really done (editing images I
>mean)
> > for a long time. I think the software tools nowadays are amazing and I
>know
> > it takes a lot of skill and talent to get the best out of such tools.
> >
>Some are really easy to use. Perspective correction like Chuck and I
>just played with is quick and easy in PS, and I assume in other editors.
>
>There are other functions in PS that are in effect shortcuts for
>multi-step uses of a series of other functions
> > So it's kinda weird for me - I've been working with digital imagery of
>some
> > kind or other since 1981 - but I'm new to digital photography and
>editing
> > digital photographs............ But I admit, I'm a million light-years
> > away yet from what some of you can do with PS et al.
>There are some things in PS that I doubt you ever did, but that are
>really easy to use. The Shadow/Highlight control, for example, lets you
>expand the tonal range of the end(s) of the histogram while smoothly
>integrating it into a slightly tonally compressed middle range, With
>controls for amount of effect, tonal range over which it operates and
>how it operates at the detail level, a little time with sliders can work
>magic that would take forever without it.
>
>PS also has a macro facility, which they call Actions, so that things
>that you do often can be quickly reproduced. Have a bunch of images with
>similar characteristics and that you think will take quite a bit of
>work? Turn on Record and do your work, save the action and repeat it on
>the other images.
> > But it is weird because
> > I've written software that manipulate bitmaps - rotate them, invert
>them,
> > emboss them, convert to grey-scale (and metallic), convert between
>formats,
> > enhance a little (sharpen or blur, etc.), enlarge, reduce, etc. etc. But
>at
> > the moment I wouldn't have a clue how to do in/with PS, PTLENS, etc.
>what
> > you guys do.
> >
>You'll easily understand the primary functions of PTLens. The thing it
>exists for is lens distortion correction. The developer simply wrote it
>to take simple parameters to correct barrel and pincushion distortion.
> [...]

Windows Live? Messenger has arrived. Click here to download it for free!