[OM] Re: focus and ? about lens filters

Subject: [OM] Re: focus and ? about lens filters
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 09 Jan 2008 19:40:45 -0700
Chuck Norcutt wrote:
> I've been cleaning lenses with Windex for many, many years.  Recommended
> by Thomas Tomosy, author of many books on camera repair.  I usually use
> just alcohol but sometimes Windex followed with alcohol.  My lens
> coatings haven't disintegrated yet.  Lens coatings are actually pretty
> tough stuff.
>
> Chuck Norcutt
>
> John Hudson wrote:
>> WINDEX ............... on a camera lens !
>>
>> Tell me that you wouldn't do that !

Actually, John, I also clean my lenses (and filters) with Windex.  I
first used Windex about fifteen years ago, to save a bunch of filters
that were in the early stages of fungus creep (they'd been stored in a
damp basement without any special protection for about five years...).

Worked a charm.  Also used plain ol' scratchy toilet paper, recommended
by another gent who was once the editor of one of the fancy-schmancy
photo mags (can't recall his name right now).  Follow it up with a
breath of humid air from the mouth, clean off any residue from the
Windex, then a puff from canned air to remove remaining bits of the
toilet paper.

Sparkling clean!  Most of my photo-taking friends started asking me if
I'd clean their glass for them, 'cause they couldn't get their lenses
anywhere near as clean as I did.  8^>

Garth